Right now there are at least 100s of affiliate programs out there for you to make money online selling products through online retailers. Today I’m going to be talking about a very popular program offered by Amazon. Amazon Associates. This program allows you to set up an account get links directly to products sold on Amazon.com that you can share on social media, add a link to your website, or send to your email list.
I’ll be going over three basic steps to get you up and running.
- Initial Set Up + Tax Information
- Adding a bank account to get paid
- Creating links to products within your dashboard.
Go to https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/ and click the “Jon Now for Free” button on the right hand side of the page.
Once you click “Join Now” you’ll see this page below.
Next, you will be asked to enter in your basic information, like your name and address. Enter this info, then click “Next”. (There’s no screenshot for this one, because it’s pretty self explanatory)
After you do that, you can begin setting up your profile.
Here a few tips for what to put here. They like to confuse people I think because these question throw a lot of people off. I hope to help you gain some clarity through this post.
- You preferred associates store ID. This is basically just an ID that gets added to the end of your links to indicate trigger your account to be credited for a sale. It really can be anything you want, I usually use my first and last name.
- Your Website List. Now, you have to have a website for this to work! All you have to do is click on the field above “Your Website List” and add your website address. Then, click the “Add” button.
- Your Mobile App List: This one gets people the most. If you don’t have an app, just leave this blank.
- What are your websites or mobile apps about? Just provide a general description of your website. Easy. 🙂
- Which of the following describes your website? This can be tricky. As you can see, there is not always an exact match with what your website is about. I’m a web designer, but “web design” is not an option. So I selected “Computers/Software/Technology” with no secondary topic.
- What type of Amazon products do you intend to list? Simply select the products you intent to sell. If you decide to sell other types in the future, you can. There will be no need to go back and re-do this.
- What type are your website(s) Most of the time, the answer will be either “Content or Niche” if you sell products and services or “Blog”. All you have to do is select the one that seems most relevant to what you do.
Next, onto “Traffic and Monetization”
- How do you drive traffic to your website? Here, just select all the methods you use to get people to come to your website. For me, my main three are Email, Social Networks and Blogs.
- How to you utilize your websites and apps to generate income? This question should be re-worded in my opinion. What they are really asking is do you use any other affiliate program on your website? For me, I only use Amazon Associates. But if you use any other programs, select them from the drop down. If Amazon is the only program you use, leave the “Secondary” section blank.
- How do you usually build links? This one for most of us will be Blog Editor. If you use Wix, Weebly or something else like that for your website, select “Content Management System”
- How many total unique visitors do your websites and apps get each month? Select the how many people normally come to your website in a month. Don’t know? Just guess. They won’t fact check you. 😉
- How did you hear about us? Just select how you learned about the program.
We’re almost done! Just enter your phone number, wait for a call and follow the instructions they give you.
Step 2: Set up your Tax and Payment Information.
Once you’ve completed everything in Step 1, you’ll get a page that says “Congrats!” and it will ask if you want to enter your tax info now or later. You want to go ahead and set it up now so you can get to selling! Once you set up a payment method and provide tax info, we can move on to the next step.
Step 3: Create Links
This is the most important part! Actually creating the links so you can sell what you want to sell. Here’s how.
First, go to www.Amazon.com Then search for the product you’d like to create a link to, and click on the product to bring up the product listing. You will notice that there is now an “Amazon Associates Site Stripe at the very top of the page.
Click “Text” then you will see the link below. You can now take that link and send it in an email, use it in a blog post and where ever else you like. When someone clicks it and makes a purchase, you get paid. If you want to share it on Facebook or Twitter, just click one of the share icons.
That’s it! You should be good to go. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below. Happy selling!